Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Flowers & Ornamental Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Flowers & Ornamental Plants

View Thread:
how to winterover hibiscus, gardenia & passion flower

how to winterover hibiscus, gardenia & passion flower
Posted by Sally from Ohio on 2008-10-13 09:26:00

I have a hibiscus, gardenia and 2 passion flower vines that I am bringing in over the winter. What is the correct way to "winterover" these plants. I have heard for the hibiscus that you should let it stay outside and experience a few very cold (in the 30's) nights so it will go dormant. Is this the same for the gardenia and the passion flower?
  • Tropical/Chinese Hibicus
    Posted by Cammy (becker1cl@comcast.net) from Michigan 5b on 2008-12-01 11:14:00

I didn't get mine in on time so mine did get hit with a few nights of heavy frost. However, after about a week of watering and spraying the leaves, the plant began to come back. I must warn though the leaves that were burnt from the frost did not recover and a lot of the leaves fell off. The plants were blossoming two weeks after I brought them in the house. Another thing I didn't know that I just found out is that before bringing them you are suppose to spray them down with a pesticide of some sort. I called a nursery today because I can't get rid of what appears on the bud and leaves. Nothing huge, but another thing to think about.

— ADVERTISEMENTS —

National Gardening Association

© 2016 Dash Works, LLC
Times are presented in US Central Standard Time
Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "sunset on one of those Big Sky TM series echies"

About - Contact - Terms of Service - Privacy - Memberlist - Acorns - Links - Ask a Question - Newsletter

Follow us on TwitterWe are on Facebook.We Pin at Pinterest.Subscribe to our Youtube ChannelView our instagram