Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
Not enough sun

Not enough sun
Posted by Alan (alglasser@cox.net) from Northern Rhode on 2002-05-27 17:40:46

Could anyone send me an e-mail to let me know if there is some sort of artificial light source to help out my vegetable garden. My yard is mostly shady but I have abhout 4-5 hours of sun a day. I am growing tomatoes, petters, lettuce and spinach in about an 8'x8' plot. Is there some sort of electric light source that I can buy to help supplement the amount of sun my garden gets?

Thanks VERY much! Alan in Rhode Island
  • Grow lights
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-05-29 17:02:10

Quoting Alan: ------------
    -Could anyone send me an e-mail to let me know if there is some sort of artificial light source to help out my vegetable garden. My yard is mostly shady but I have abhout 4-5 hours of sun a day. I am growing tomatoes, petters, lettuce and spinach in about an 8'x8' plot. Is there some sort of electric light source that I can buy to help supplement the amount of sun my garden gets?

-Thanks VERY much! Alan in Rhode Island

About the only thing I can think of is grow lights. You would have to rig them up close to the tops of the plants and they tend to be expensive to purchase and run. I don't know if there are ones rated for outdoor use so I would suggest caution here. Do make sure you use and outdoor light fixture and a GFI recepticle to run them on just in case it rains.

If the shade is caused by trees, I would suggest that you limb up the trees to allow more sun to the garden. If you need advice on how to do this, just let me know.

Newt

— ADVERTISEMENTS —

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Pacific Blue Ice"