The Q&A Archives: Germinating Alstomeria Seeds

Question: I am trying to grow alstomeria from seed. It seems to be a complex process; first you start the seeds for a couple of weeks, and then seal them up and place in the refrigerator for 3 or 4 additional weeks. I am ready for the refrigerator phase, but some of the seeds have sprouted! What do I do now - put only the unspouted ones in the refrigerator, put them all in the refrigerator, or forget the fridge phase? Thanks! John Miers Bethesda, MD

Answer: I'm finding conflicting information on germination requirements. One source says to soak seeds in warm water for 12 hours before sowing. Keep at 65-70 degrees F. The other says to prechill for 3 weeks then sow and keep at 70 degrees F. I'd say that you should plant the ones that have sprouted and put the rest in the fridge and watch closely..