The Q&A Archives: Greek Oregano Seedlings

Question: I purchased Greek Oregano seeds last year, and planted the seeds indoors. The seeds sprouted but the seedlings only grew a few inches high and then died. The seedlings were very leggy, with almost hair-thin stems and leaves spaced an inch apart. I started seeds several times, with the same results each time. Is Greek Oregano normally difficult to start from seed, or did I get a bad batch? I had no trouble with the basil seeds I bought. Do you have any tips, besides what's on the seed packet?

Answer: Greek Oregano is a heat and sun loving plant, even more so than basil, which can make it difficult to grow healthy seedlings at home. Based on your description I suspect the seedlings needed more light than they received. Other possible causes are that they were too crowded and/or over fertilized and/or overwatered and/or needed better air circulation, but the primary suspect is lack of light. If you are using a windowsill, you might consider supplemental light such as that provided by fluorescent bulbs.