The Q&A Archives: Horticultural Bean Seed

Question: Burpee's Heirlooms catalog has a picture on the front of what looked like the horticultural beans I grew several years ago, but the inside description is different. The ones we grew were a dwarf variety and very prolific. We live in a very damp climate so that drying was difficult but they canned well and made excellent chili. I'd love to get my hands on some seed. Can you help me find a source?

Answer: There's an heirloom horticultural bush bean in the Seeds of Change catalog. It is used as either a green snap bean if picked young, or as a small green shell bean. It can also be canned if picked young, and the plants thrive in cool climates. Contact Seeds of Change at PO Box 15700, Santa Fe, NM 87506-5700 for a copy of their descriptive catalog.