The Q&A Archives: Bugs on Brussel Sprouts

Question: I planted Brussels sprouts for the first time from seed last year. The plants were large and healthy, but we got no Brussels sprouts because of small green worm/caterpillar like bugs who ate the leaves and the sprouts. I sprayed with Sevin and also hand picked the insects off several times, but they were overwhelming. What can I do to prevent this next year?

Answer: It sounds like cabbage worms or cabbage loopers found your plants! You can try hand-picking but in my experience it's pretty tough to keep up with them. Bt (Bacillius Thuringiensis) applied according to the label instructions should work; you might also try using floating row covers to protect your plants -- put them on when you plant them out and keep them on all season. Enjoy those Brussels sprouts!