The Q&A Archives: Choke Vine

Question: I have a large number of small vines that have a triangular leaf that wrap themselves around bushes and plants. I believe they are choke vines. They are mostly in my pachysandra. How do I get rid of them without killing the other
pachysandra and other plants?

Answer: Persistent weeds like that are truly discouraging. Your can try to pull them regularly and repeatedly to ultimately exhaust the root reserves, or you might try spot applications of glyphosate according to the label instructions. This is a non-selective herbicide so you need to be very careful not to allow it to reach neighboring plants, but with some care and a lot of patience (and perhaps some cardboard shields until it dries) it can be done. Good luck with the battle!