The Q&A Archives: Rubrum Lilies

Question: I have recently been given bulbs from a type of daylily. They are Rubrum, I think. Can you give me any information about the size the plant will be and anything else that will help me get the best results?

Answer: Rubrum lilies (Lilium speciosum "Rubrum") are true lilies grown from bulbs; while daylilies (hemerocallis) are another type of plant altogether. Since you have bulbs, I assume you do have rubrum lilies. These are lovely hardy perennial plants with dark-spotted white trumpet-shaped blooms in late summer. They do best in full to half day sun in a spot with good air circulation and with excellent drainage, particularly during the winter. They may grow about four feet tall or more, so you will probably need to stake them. Be careful not to pierce the bulb when you put in the stake -- some gardeners will place the stake at the same time they plant the bulb for this reason. Enjoy your gift!