The Q&A Archives: Japanese Boxwoods Dying

Question: Japanese Boxwoods have died two years in a row. The shrubs are located on the south side of my home where they receive direct sunlight most of the day. I water them approximately 3 times per week and fertilized according to instructions on the "blue stuff". We planted them in Mar/Apr and they were completely dead by September. Can you suggest a problem or an alternative shrub?

Answer: I can't tell you for sure what killed them, but Boxwood are susceptible to several soil problems, including a fungal root disease and nematodes. They also hate soggy soil and watering 3 times a week sounds excessive, especially if your soil is a clay.

I would suggest you try dwarf wax myrtle or dwarf yaupon as both are native plants that do well in your area.

Thanks for the question!