The Q&A Archives: Nasturtium

Question: I have heard conflicting information when it comes to sun exposure for nasturtiums. I am hoping that you might be able to clear it up for me. All the seed catalogs and books say that nasturtiums like full sun but friends of mine that have grown them say that they don't do well in full sun but prefer filtered light. I would love to try them this year but my deck gets full afternoon sun with a western exposure. So they would receive a lot of hot afternoon sun. Do you think it will be too hot for them?

Answer: Nasturtiums grow best in full sun, with afternoon shade where summers are hot. They will grow in poor to average, moist, well-drained, slightly acid soil. In your region, Nasturtiums will perform well on a deck with afternoon sun, because the weather is not intensely hot and dry for prolong periods of time. Typically the only dry month in the Pacific Northwest is August, and flowering may slow a little during this time, but otherwise, Nasturtiums should be happy in the spot you've chosen for them.