The Q&A Archives: Bavarian Wandering Jew and String of Pearls

Question: I recently bought two houseplants and wanted to know how to take care of each of them. I only have the common names:

Wandering Jew - Bavarian
String of Pearls

Can you help?

Answer: Although I am not familiar with a specifically "Bavarian" Wandering Jew, your plant is most likely a form of either Zebrina pendula or perhaps a Tradescantia. Both of these make good undemanding houseplants and the care is similar: bright to moderate light, average household temperatures and moderate watering. You might fertilize this plant once a month or so with a balanced (eg 20-20-20) water soluble fertilizer for foliage plants according to the label instructions.

String of Pearls or String of Beads (Senecio Rowleyianus) is a succulent which does best in bright to moderate light with lighter watering. It will bloom in mid-winter if given a cool spell (say 55 degrees) first and then brought into a warmer room temperature. You might fertilize this plant once a month or so as above but at half the rate suggested on the label and being careful not to spill it on the foliage.

Enjoy your new plants!