The Q&A Archives: Amaryllis

Question: What do I do with my Amaryllis now that has blossomed. Will I be able to make it blossom again? Thank you.

Answer: You can encourage your Amaryllis to bloom again by following these guidelines: Amaryllis grow best in bright light at temperatures of 60F - 70F. Plant so only one-half of the bulb is buried in the soil. The flower stalk will emerge first, followed by two or more strap-like leaves. After flowering cut off the stalk but allow the leaves to remain. Keep the soil moist, but not soggy. In the spring place the pot outdoors in a shady place. In late summer, when the leaves turn yellow and die, stop watering, bring the plant indoors, and allow it to rest in a cool, dry place for about three months. Around the first of December, repot and bring it into a bright room. Begin watering again and a new flower stalk and new leaves will emerge from the bulb. When the weather warms in the spring, take it outdoors again to repeat the process.