The Q&A Archives: Sowing Violets

Question: I was wondering if I could get some tips for starting violet seeds. I've tried starting some indoors, but none came up after two months. Should I prechill them?

Answer: Seeds for Viola (Violets) need to be prechilled for two weeks prior to sowing. Since the seeds are small, you can place them between the folds of a barely damp papertowel and seal in a plastic bag before placing the the refrigerator. (For larger seeds that need prechilling, simply mix them with some moistened potting soil, seal in a plastic bag and place in the refrigerator for the prescribed length of time.) After the chill period, sow the seeds 1/16" deep in moistened seed starting mix and cover the trays or pots with plastic wrap to help hold in the moisture. Place the trays or pots in a warm area, such as on top of the refrigerator. The seeds should germinate in 14-21 days when kept at 65F -75F degrees.