The Q&A Archives: Amaryllis Blooms, No Foliage

Question: This is the second year I've had this "Minerva" Amaryllis. It summered outdoors, dormancy induced in mid September, dormancy successfully broken early December. First bloom opened third week in January. First flower stalk is roughly 24 inches tall and very sturdy, each flower is 8.25 inches across. Second flower stalk emerged early January (9 inches tall as of 1/21). There is no foliage on this plant, just flower stalks. Last year there was foliage along with the flowers. Why isn't it leafing out? Is there any way I can encourage it to do so?

Answer: Your amaryllis sounds fabulous! I don't think you need to worry and to be honest, I don't know of any way you can encourage that amaryllis to leaf out; amaryllis bulbs just seem to have minds of their own as you are witnessing. In my experience an individual bulb's performance can vary somewhat from year to year -- just keep it watered and fertilized per your normal routine and it will leaf out when it's good and ready. Enjoy the blooms!