The Q&A Archives: Shade Suggestions

Question: I live in an apartment with a balcony that gets indirect sun in the morning, but mostly shade. I'd like to buy some plants/flowers and maybe grow some herbs/tomatoes/peppers in pots? Any suggestions of what plants would flourish in that situation?

Answer: There are some herbs that will grow in part shade (Borage, Catnip, Cress, Spearmint, Curly Mint, Pennyroyal, French Soup Sorrel, Garden Sorrel, St. John's Wort, etc.) but tomatoes demand full sun. Howver, there are tons of flowers, both annual and perennial that will thrive in part shade. Here is a short list: Annuals: Abutilon, alyssum, ararina, begonia, impatiens, browallia, cardinal climber, cleome, coleus, cobaea, dolichos, forget me not, hypoestes, lysimachia, lantana, pansy, primrose, salvia, snapdragon, torenia, vinca. Perennials: Aruncus, hosta, astilbe, dicentra, aconitum, columbine, pulmonaria, heuchera, heucherella, daylily, geranium, euphorbia, foxglove, iris, lamium, monarda, lupine, nepeta, rudbeckia, shasta daisy. Remember to choose containers appropriate to what you are growing, choose a good growing medium (I wouldn't recommend getting soil from your garden, buy a few bags instead and enrich with organic matter), fertilize appropriately, and remember that containers dry out easily and you will need to keep a close watch on soil moisture.