The Q&A Archives: Alternative Vegetable Layouts

Question: Are there other options for vegetable garden layout, other than rows? I don't want to put in a raised bed; in a few years our garden won't be at this site. I thought about planting in blocks or beds, but had heard that the garden must be raised for this to be effective. Is this true? Sandy Blais Cincinnati, OH

Answer: You don't have to raise the beds to plant in wide rows or blocks. Just prepare the soil as you normally would and create straight blocks (no wider than 3 feet for convenience) or even circular or oblong shaped blocks and broadcast seed vegetables suchas lettuce, carrots and beets or transplant tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers into the wide rows at the correct spacings. Mulch the paths and you should have a beautiful garden all summer.

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"