The Q&A Archives: String Of Pearls

Question: My girlfriend gave me a plant that she calls 'String of Pearls'. Can you give me some tips on how to take care of it?

Answer: Your plant is a member of the Senecio family, with thread-like stems and spherical leaves that look like green beads. It will be most attractive in a hanging pot, where the stems are allowed to cascade over the sides of the container. Give your plant bright light, average household temperatures, and a deep, thorough soaking when the soil begins to dry out. Instead of pouring water over the soil, immerse the pot in a container of water to make sure the soil is completely saturated. Then let the top half-inch of soil dry out before watering again. Your String of Pearls will need less water in the winter than in the spring, summer and fall months. Feed lightly with a diluted liquid fertilizer in the spring when new growth appears and feed again at four-week intervals.