The Q&A Archives: Pumpkins On A Trellis

Question: I want to grow some pumpkins on a fence. What would I have to do to support them? Is it really feasible to grow pumpkins up a fence or trellis?

Answer: All melons and squashes can be trellised. However, you must give the fruit plenty of support or it will tear the vine off of the trellis. Gardeners have fashioned all types of supports from sections of hosiery for smaller fruit such as small squash and cantaloupes, on up to slings made of torn sheets or netting for watermelons and pumpkins.

Tie the support to the trellis when the fruit is the size of a baseball or softball and as the fruit grows it will provide adequate support. It is best to use materials that do not stretch too much or the growing fruit will cause the support too sag and not do its job. Check the supports periodically to make sure they are working right.

Thanks for the question and good luck with your pumpkins!