The Q&A Archives: Attracting Hummingbirds And Butterflies

Question: I am interested in obtaining a list of plants that attract hummingbirds and butterflies to help me plan a new garden.

Answer: Some of the annuals and perennials that hummingbirds find irresistable include Hollyhock, Columbine, Clarkia, Cleome, Delphinium, Foxglove, Gladiolus, Coral Bells, Red-Hot Poker, Cardinal Flower, Fuchsia, Mimulus, Monarda, and Salvia. Butterflies like Ageratum, Hollyhock, milkweed, Asters, Buddleia, Chrysanthemum, Coreopsis, Purple Coneflower, Sunflowers, Daylilies, Lavender, Mint, Bee Balm, Phlox, Salvia, French Marigold, Thyme, Veronica and Zinnia. Try to plant a variety of flowers so you'll have something in bloom all season long and you're sure to attract both hummingbirds and butterflies to your garden.