The Q&A Archives: Starting Stargazer Lily Seeds

Question: I saved some of my stargazer seeds from last year and was wondering how I would start them.

Answer: Successful germination of lily seeds requires a period of warmth followed by one of cold. It's possible the seeds you've saved have already been exposed to warmth, so try to germinate them in the following manner: Put the seeds into a jar with moist peat and keep at 70F -75F for 3-4 months. Inspect regularly and remove any seeds that develop both roots and leaves. Plant these in individual pots. At the end of the 3-4 month period, any seeds that develop roots but not leaves should be sown in pots of moistened peat and placed in the refrigerator for 3 months. If there are seeds left that show no signs of life, try planting them in individual pots and placing the pots outdoors in a protected area. After they've gone through a winter chill, they should germinate the following spring. Good luck with your seed starting venture!