The Q&A Archives: Caring for Strawberry Plants after Fungicide Treatment

Question: I planted strawberries (Ozark Beauty) in my old vegetable bed last year. While the plants seemed to do pretty well, I noticed brown spots forming on the leaves. I sprayed with a fungicide and while this seemed to help the problem, I have numerous deadleaves on the plants. I have removed the dead leaves but am concerned that the problems I had will affect the plants bearing their first fruits. How should these plants be treated to ensure optimal perfomance this spring. Mike Novosel Overland Park, KS

Answer: Once the winter is finished in your area, remove any mulch from the strawberries, clean out any dead leaves lying around and fertilize the berries with some compost. As long as the plants are healthy, they shouldn't have a severe problem with leaf spot. A few spots are oaky, but if leaves are dying, then you need to spray fungicides to control it. Also, the weather influences the amount of infection. Cloudy, wet, cool weather encourages the leaf spots.