The Q&A Archives: Perennials for Wet Places

Question: My property contains wetlands which stay continually soggy. I would like to plant perennial flowers which will provide some color along the border of the wetland. This area is in a sunny location. Can you suggest flowers which would do well in this sunny and wet location?

Answer: You may need to experiment with a few plants before you go whole-hog and plant any one thing extensively, but there are a number of good plants which tolerate some degree of wet feet: Japanese Iris, Siberian Iris, Iris pseudacorus, Marsh Marigold, Lobelia cardinalis, Monarda and Joe Pye Weed are good candidates for very damp spots while daylily, (Hemerocallis), Black-Eyed Susan, Astilbe and some ornamental grasses will also tolerate a good amount of dampness. If given enough moisture, some hostas (especially the golden ones) will tolerate a great deal of sun, so they may be another plant to test. Good luck with your perennials!