The Q&A Archives: Tips for Growing Giant Pumpkins

Question: I enjoy growing pumpkins. I have seen articles on 800-1,000 lb pumpkins. I regularly use Burpee Big Max' seeds but I have only gotten as big as 350lbs. Do you have seeds that will grow bigger pumpkins or can you tell me where I can get those seeds?.Also could you give me some growing tips on how to get my pumpkins bigger? I have tried using the seeds from pumpkins I have grown but the plants that grow from those seeds do not do very well. Is there something I should be doing with those seeds to make them grow better? Thank you for your time and I am anxiously awaiting your reply. Jeff Bailey Lebanon, IN

Answer: To get seeds for giant pumpkins contact Howard Dill 400 College Rd, Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada BON2TO. Seeds from hybrid plants cannot be relied on for growing plants similiar to the original. Tips for Growing Giant Pumpkins -Soil prep, mostimportant factor, after testing and adjusting soil use large quantity of partialy decomposed compost -Start seeds in pots early to provide for longest growing season for your zone. Move seedling to warm outside soil and temperatures,65F or provide mini-greenhouse -Fertilize, first with higher Phosphorus for roots later with balanced fertilizer -Water, fortifying with liquid fertilizer, growing pumpkins require gallons of water -After pumpkins start growing limit vines to one or two. Be readyto adjust vine positions as pumpkins grow larger -Make sure pumpkins get as much sun as possible