The Q&A Archives: Sweet Peas for Obelisk

Question: I am thinking of using your sweet pea seeds for a vine at my lovely obelisk my husband made of wood. When should I plant the seeds outside and do you think it will work for me. We are in a new home and this is in an area where much fill was used. It has been mulched since last fall.

Answer: Nearly any of the annual vines would be fine for an obelisk. The smaller clematis vines are also very effective. Sweet peas would be beautiful but you should be aware that they tend to "poop out" just as soon as the summer turns warm. They will do best on a very rich soil with lots of composted manure or compost added and require plenty of water. The pH should also be above 6. They should be planted in the ground very early in the spring, as soon as the soil can be worked -- about when regular peas are planted -- and kept well mulched. Enjoy your obelisk!