The Q&A Archives: Pennsylvania Region Vegetable Recommendations

Question: Having just moved here from the westcoast of Canada, I have been reading numerous books on gardening which recommend purchasing seeds developed specifically for your climate. Can you direct me as to which of the various vegetable varieties have been specifically developed for this region?

Answer: Pennsylvania is generally considered to be part of the mid-Atlantic region and as such provides a fairly well balanced growing environment. You will not need to seek out specialized varieties such as short season tomatoes or those crops which withstand the extreme heat and humidity of say the deep south. On the other hand, your local County Extension may be able to suggest certain varieties which do especially well in your local area. Their telephone number is 391-9840. Enjoy your new garden!