The Q&A Archives: Flowering Vines for Shade

Question: I would like to grow an annual flowering vine, (or perennial if it is a fast grower), against a wall of our house that receives no direct sun. Would anything bloom there? I realize that morning glories, climbing nasturtiums and sweet peas do best in sun, but would they bloom at all in this spot?

Answer: To be honest I doubt that those sun-lovers would bloom much if at all for you. Your best bet for such a shady location might be clematis or perhaps a climbing hydrangea which grows slowly but is worth the wait. If your goal is to hide or beautify the wall, you might get better results by growing truly shade loving plants there such as English ivy (there are some lovely variegated forms available) or even impatiens or caladiums in containers raised up to eye level.