The Q&A Archives: Starting Seeds in Patio Greenhouse

Question: I recently purchased a Patio Greenhouse from Gardener's Supply and was wondering if I should start my seeds in the greenhouse or should I start them indoors and move them into the greenhouse later? If I need to start them indoors, when should I move them to the greenhouse? It doesn't have a heater with it.

Answer: Seeds require fairly high and consistent soil temperatures (an average of 70F) to germinate properly. I suggest that you germinate the seeds indoors and then move them to the greenhouse after that. Also, put a thermometer in the greenhouse to monitor temperatures throughout the day. If you also purchased an automatic vent opener, you'll need to "set" it according to the instructions Gardener's Supply provided, to ensure good ventilation and temperature moderation. Enjoy!