The Q&A Archives: Growing Pineapple

Question: I have grown a pineapple plant from the top of a pineapple
and it is about 8 months old now. I would like to know how
to grow a pineapple on this plant and when and what do I
feed it.

Answer: A balanced fertilizer such as MiracleGro will keep your pineapple vigorous and healthy. Use the low, constant feed rate. They require a fertilie, well-drained soil, kept slightly moist.

It's possible for your pineapple plant to produce fruit, but they rarely produce fruit outside of a greenhouse in northern climates. Pineapples need full sun, very high humidity, and night temperatures that don't dip below 65F, to mimic the conditions of their native habitat.

Pineapples will generally fruit in about 18 months although this can vary significantly due to growing conditions such as temperature, light, fertility, etc. If your plant is over 18 months old and has not fruited, place an apple in the top of the plant, cover the plant with a large, clear plastic bag (like a dry cleaner bag) and poke a few holes for aeration. (Note: move the plant out of direct sun. Covering a plant in the sun with a plastic bag will "cook" it!)

After about two weeks remove the apple, keep the plant well watered and wait. The ethylene gas released from the apple will usually initiate blooming. A central stalk with a miniature pineapple on the end will grow up from the plant. Continue to water well during this period. When the pineapple reaches full size and turns from greenish brown to the yellowish brown color of a ripe pineapple it is ready to be cut from the plant.