The Q&A Archives: Starting Painted Daisy Seeds Indoors

Question: I tried to start some painted daisies from seed indoors, but I had no luck. None of the seeds sprouted. Can you give me some advice?

Answer: In my experience (and that of others), for some reason painted daisies (Chrysanthemum coccineum) usually germinate slowly and at a poor rate, so don't be discouraged. Follow normal seed starting procedures ( use clean pots and clean, freshly moistened soil mix; sow seed, cover pot with plastic wrap, keep in a bright location out of direct sun until seeds germinate at which point remove the cover immedaitely and place in brightest light available) and try again, keeping the soil at about 68 or 70 degrees. In many cases the best way to propagate this plant is by division, especially if you have one you particularly like. Good luck with your painted daisies!

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"