The Q&A Archives: Weed Screen

Question: I am planning a new garden and want to use a weed screen or block mesh to control the weeds. Do you recomend using such a product? If so, what depth do you recommend I lay the screen?

Answer: Weed barriers work by blocking light which keeps most weed seeds from germinating. Those seeds that manage to germinate will not be able to penetrate through the material to reach daylight and will soon die. Weed blockers or barriers are generally placed on the soil surface and then covered with decorative bark or other material to disguise their appearance. You can use several thicknesses of dampened newspapers in place of commercial weed barriers if you'd like. Just cover the papers with bark or other organic mulch material. The papers will disintegrate in a few years and will have to be replaced, by which time the organic mulch will have to be replaced as well. You can dig or rototil the old organic material into the soil and lay fresh paper and mulch over the soil. Hope this information helps!