The Q&A Archives: Ugli Fruit

Question: I have been grown many various citrus fruits at home. The ugli fruit is one that I have had no sucess with. Is there some special requirement for this fruit that I may not know about? Usualy I take seeds directly from fruit, soak in water for 8-12 hours, plant and water thouroughly. I have a relativly high sucess rate with these methods...but not with the ugli. The seed coat seems to be a bit thicker than most and I have not yet tried scarification of the seed coat. I figured that I would ask you first. Thanks so much!

Answer: The Ugli fruit was found as a chance seedling in Jamaica. Since it appears to have mixed parentage, it may not grow true to type but instead bear more resemblence to its ancesters.

I have not been able to find any specific instructions on getting the seeds to germinate. However, you may get the help you need from the following site; this is a group of amateur fruit enthusiasts, and I bet someone there has had experience with ugli fruits.

Good luck.

California Rare Fruit Growers