The Q&A Archives: Encouraging Blueberry Fruiting

Question: I have two blueberry plants of the same species that did not bear fruit at all their first year. I have heard that you need two different species in order for them to bear fruit. Is this true? Can you please explain? If so, how should I pick the species? Debbie Conti Fairfax, CA

Answer: You don't necessarily need two different varieties of blueberries to get fruit, but it does help with yield tremendously. If your plants are still young (under 3 years old), then it's not surprising, or desirable, for them to produce fruit. Let the shoots and roots get well established and then the plant will bear heavy for you for many years. The flowers on bluberries are perfect (male and female parts in the same flower), but fruit best with cross pollination from bees. They benefit from the mix of pollen from different varieties. So, I'd plant at least one or two other varieties in your yard so you can make bluberry pancakes for 100's in the future.