The Q&A Archives: String of Pearls

Question: I saw a hanging house plant on this show. Its was called a String Of Pearls. It looks like a long string of peas. I would like to know where you can get them and some information on them?

Answer: The String of Pearls (also called String of Beads)you saw was probably Senecio rowleyanus. This plant is originally from Southwestern Africa where it grows as a succulent perennial. It is easy to grow and does very well in a hanging basket in bright light and can be encouraged to bloom by giving it a spell of cooler temperatures (say 50 or 55 degrees) in early winter followed by a return to its normally preferred warmer temperatures (average household or over 60 degrees). They are occasionally available in garden centers or nurseries which carry houseplants.

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"