The Q&A Archives: Aphids

Question: How do I get rid of aphids without killing my plants?

Answer: Aphids seem to be ready to attack plants as soon as leaves sprout in the spring! Since they are soft-bodied insects they are susceptible to one of the Insecticidal Soap sprays available on the market. You can also hose your plants off with a strong stream of water to dislodge the pests, but you have to do it on a regular basis or they will just return. If you have lots of different plants blooming in your yard you'll attract beneficial insects that will feed on the aphids. Usually a natural balance is achieved once the beneficials, such as ladybugs and parasitic wasps, take up residence in your yard. Beneficials are attracted to the nectar in flowers and will stay if there are other insects upon which they can feed.