The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Gladiolus

Question: I'm moving to a nearby town and want to take some of my gladiolus with me.They've been in place for two years now, and they're already 'sprouting' for the third time. The shoots are about two inches tall and there are several per original planting site. I dug up one site and found three large corms (at least the size of a lime) and SEVERAL marble-sized and smaller corms. Which bulbs will survive transplanting?

Answer: The offsets you found near the original glad corms won't be mature enough to bloom for several years, but will probably make the transition without problem. Dig them, cover them with soil to keep them from drying out, and replant as soon as possible. The larger corms can be carefully dug and immediately planted in pots or containers, to be transplanted to your new garden as soon as possible. Try to move them before they put out too much more growth, and make sure the roots do not dry out in the process. Careful handling and careful transplanting early in the season should not affect the health of your glads.