The Q&A Archives: Malagueta

Question: I am searching for a variety of small hot peppers that are popular among Brazilians called "malagueta". Is there another name for them in American parlance? If you could provide the scientific latin name for the variety, that would be even better. That way I would always be assured of getting the right seeds.

Answer: According to authors of "The Pepper Garden," Dave DeWitt and Paul W. Bosland, malagueta is a wild variety of tobasco chile pepper, Capsicum frutescens. Unfortunatly, I can't find a source for the seed. My suggestion is that you call The Pepper Gal, (PO Box 23006, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33307-3006, ph# 954-537-5540), and see if they have any suggestions for you. There's also a National Hot Pepper Association (ph# 954-565-4972), which may be able to help. Best of luck!