The Q&A Archives: Rooting Christmas Cactus

Question: I have a large and old xmas cactus. Some branches have gotten too large and heavy. I'd like to root the larger pieces that have broken off. Simply putting them in water keeps them alive for a while, but no roots have developed. Please advise what I should be doing.

Answer: These usually root fairly easily in barely damp sand or soil mix rather than water. Break off a section about 4 to 6 inches long, allow it to sit and callous for a day or so, then stick it rightside up about a third to half way into barely damp sand or vermiculite, or a rooting mix of peat, perlite and vermiculite. Place it in a bright location, do not allow it to dry out, and check periodically for roots. Gentle bottom heat can help speed it up but is not required. To make a shapely potted plant quickly, pot up several rooted cuttings together. Good luck with your new plants!