The Q&A Archives: Best Times to Apply Weed Control in NC

Question: I need information about weed control in my lawn. I applied Pennington pre-emergent at the beginning of March, but have many weeds already, especially chickweed. I have some weed control (not pre-emergent) fertilizer, but the nursery told me that touse this would burn the lawn due to too much nitrogen after applying the pre-emergent/fertilizer a few weeks ago. I applied weed-b-gone today to the entire yard. When will it be safe to use the weed control fertilizer? I have heard that fertilizing in the spring is not good; but other sources say it's the right time. When is the best time and what frequency and how do I use in conjunction with pre-emergent and weed-b-gone? Thanks. D. Thomas Cary, NC

Answer: It's probably best in North Carolina in fertilize in spring and fall. I'd say after a two week period, you could apply the fertilizer to the weed-b-gone lawn. Also, for the best lawn, topdress the grass with 1" layer of compost in spring to feed the roots. Mow the lawn higher than normal (2 1/2" to 3") to shade out weeds and leave the grass clipping on the lawn as added fertilizer. Organic fertilizers are nice to use to build up root systems and help choke out weeds. Once the lawn to lush and filled in well, this should prevent any need for additional herbicides.