The Q&A Archives: Zinnia Transplants

Question: It's been a long time since I've tried these & there are some new ones in your catalogue I'm dying to try - Oklahoma & Peaches&Cream. But, I mulch heavily in all my beds so I don't have much luck with direct seeding of annuals. I'm used to starting seeds for most veggies, some perennials, etc., but I've been told that zinnias don't usually transplant well. It's very rare that any garden centers around here offer flats of any zinnias. Any truth to this? Any tips to successfully transplanting? I hate to lose little plants I've labored over.

Answer: To be quite honest, in my experience zinnias are no more difficult than other plants. They do grow rather quickly so it is a good idea not to start them too early -- four to six weeks is plenty of time and be sure to wait to set them out until all danger of frost is past and the soil has warmed a bit. (An exception to this might be the Zinnia augustifolia types which need warmer temperatures and a longer lead time from seed but are fabulous garden plants.) Good luck with your zinnias!