The Q&A Archives: Strobilanthes dyeranus

Question: I recently aquired the plant Strobilanthes dyeranus. where I live. I can find no information on it. I currently have it potted in a shady area on my patio. What can you tell me about its proper care? Can it be propagated from cuttings? What exposure? Can it remain outside in my frost free climate?

Answer: According to the book Hortus III, Strobilanthes dyeranus is Mexican Petunia, sometimes called Persian Shield. It's a shrub with with 8 inch long toothed leaves, iridescent above and purplish beneath. Flowers are spikes, about 1 1/2 inches long, mostly purple. Although grown for attractive foliage and flowers, the plant can become weedy in warm winter regions. It can be easily be propagated by cuttings. Strobilanthes grows best in full sunshine in average garden soil. Once established it requires very little water.