The Q&A Archives: Over-Fertilizing Citrus Trees

Question: I have a two year old mandarin orange tree and a two year old grapefruit tree. After I fertilized them this February they both look like they are going to die. I have a lemon tree that received the same amount of fertilizer and looks fine. The leaves on the trees have dried up and are falling off. The tree still has some life in the branches. What can I do to save it if I did over fertilize them? Marilyn Dreifus Scottsdale, AZ

Answer: It's hard to say what happened to your orange and grapefruit trees. If you overfertilized then I would think the lemon would have met the same fate. It could be a soil borne insect, disease or nematodes effecting the root system. Dig around the roots and see what you find. If you water them well, the trees hopefully will come back if it's just shock from overfertiliztion.