The Q&A Archives: Finding pineapple berry seeds

Question: I have a friend in Oklahoma who tells me she plants what she calls pineapple berries. She says they look like a strawberry in size but are yellow, instead of red, and they taste just like a pineapple! She gets seeds for them from some place called Perkins Seeds. I was wondering if you have this type of seed, and where I would look in your catalog to find them. I hope they are something that can be grown in the St. Louis as we love the taste of pineapple, and would find it fun to try these!

Answer: I wonder if your friend grows pineapple guava (Feijoa sellowiana)? It has many small seeds imbedded in the fruit, like a strawberry does. These are commonly grown in the warm southern regions of the U.S., wherever the temperatures stay above 15F. It can also be grown in a pot in a sunny greenhouse. A source for pineapple guava is

Greenleaf Nursery Company, Inc., HC 72 Box 163, Park Hill, Oklahoma 74451-9500, ph# 1-800-331-2982, E-Mail: