The Q&A Archives: Tips for Growing Hostas in Dry Sandy TX

Question: I live in a dry, hot climate with a lot of sand in the dirt. I would love to plant Hostas in a shady area, but don't know what is the best Hosta for this type of climate. Also, do you have those types of Hostas and can I order them from you, and how much would they cost. Thanks! Ronda Pearson Dalhart, TX

Answer: I don't think there is much variance from hosta variety to variety as far as adaptability in hot, dry locations. Hostas love cool, moist, shady spots, so growing them in your environment may be a challenge. Amend the soil with lots of composted manure (at least 2-3" deep) and keep the soil moist and mulched during the summer. Hopefully if they have shade from the hot afternoon sun, they will grow well for you. Any of the varieties in the catalog are worth a try.