The Q&A Archives: Morning Glory Invasive

Question: I was told when I purchased my morning glory seed that they were invasive. Is this true or are they self seeding? What is the difference between invasive and self seeding?

Answer: That is a good question! Many plants will self-seed without getting out of hand and trying to take over the "back 40". Others are more aggressive and tend to take over, thus being labeled invasive.

Most varieties of the cultivated "garden type" morning glory will reseed but are usually not too invasive as they can easily be weeded out of an area where they are not wanted. However, left unchecked they could tend to overpopulate and outgrow other plants. So enjoy them but keep an eye on them. Their seedings are very distinctive and thus easy to identify should they proliferate.