The Q&A Archives: Best Flowers for Growing in Pots

Question: I have just moved into an apartment with a huge deck, as I havent had much experience with growing flowers, what varieties will grow well in pots & be easy for a beginner to maintain? When should I plant?

Answer: There are many easy annuals which do well in pots. For sun, you might try ageratum, cosmos, dahlia, dusty miller, geranium, lobelia, sweet alyssum, marigold, petunias, salvia, vinca, dwarf sunflowers, and zinnias. For shade, you might try impatiens, browalia, fibrous-rooted begonia, coleus and caladiums. Most of these should be planted when the weather has settled and frost is no longer expected. They all require regular watering (maybe even twice a day in the heat of summer, especially if your containers are small) and regular fertilization with a water soluble fertilizer. Most will also look better and bloom better if you remove the blooms as they fade. For more detailed instructions, you might look at a basic book on container plants; one I particularly like is Container Gardening for Dummies by Bill Marken, ISBN 0-7645-5057-8 -- it even talks about how to grow vegetables in containers! Enjoy your plants!