The Q&A Archives: Yellow Spots on Areca Palm

Question: My newly purchased/repotted Areca Palm has faint yellow spots on one branch only. The rest of the Areca Palm is very healthy looking. Does the Areca Palm have a disease, and if so, how do I treat it and will it spread to the other plants in my house?

Answer: Potted palms tend to be disease free, but they can suffer from adverse growing conditions that sometimes occur in indoor environments. Your areca needs high humidity, and dislikes hot, dry air and cold drafts. Keep your palm out of direct sun that might cause scorched spots on leaves. It prefers well-drained soil that is slightly moist at all times, and temperatures between 55-75F.

The yellow spots you see might be the result of a little root loss during transplanting. If it gets worse, you can trim the branch, or cut it from the trunk. Hope this helps!