The Q&A Archives: Controlling Sandbur (Burgrass)

Question: We moved into our house one year ago exactly, and it was brand new with no yard, just dirt and weeds. Where we live there is a weed called Sand Burrs and Goat Heads. My husband and I both are new to this climate, and we want to know what is the bestpossible way to get rid of these awful weeds and when is the best time to treat? Thank you. Ronda Pearson Dalhart, TX

Answer: Now that you have your hostas, it's on to the weeds! Sandbur or burgrass is a native grass that's mostly an annual, but self-sows readily. It's found on sandy soils and trails along rooting at the nodes (stems). The roots aren't very extensive, so cultivating the soil should kill it. Try not to let it go to seed, because the seed can last for years in the soil. If you're growing gardens in that area, I'd just till and cultivate the soil frequently to kill the burgrass. If you're planting alawn, you should start all over by tilling under the soil, amending it compost and planting a tough grass such as buffalo grass that will crowd out any weeds.