The Q&A Archives: How Do You Start A Wisteria Vine?

Question: Hi, I've always dreamed of starting my own Wisteria vine. My uncle who lives a hour away from me has a beautiful flowering wisteria that he has had for years. what is the simplest way I could start a vine off of his and how whold I go about doing it?

Answer: You could start a new vine from seed, but due to seedling variations it is unlikely it will be as nice a vine as your uncle's. Most wisteria cultivars are grafted to assure good blooming performance and sturdy rooting, but grafting is not an easy technique to master. In any case, it is usually a good idea to purchase a wisteria vine at a reputable nursery being careful to select one which has demonstrated its ability to bloom because some of these plants will wait for years and years before "deciding" to bloom at all. However, should you wish to try to start one from seed, it is fairly simple. You may collect the fresh seed in the fall and sow it right then where you would like the plant to grow or, if the seed is old and hard, soak it in warm water for a day or so before planting. Another method is to root cuttings in June or July, but again, the wait for blooms can be a long one! Good luck with your project!