The Q&A Archives: WWII "Victory Garden" Program

Question: I am working with a school teacher who is involving her students in gardening and teaching history at the same time by making a link with WWII "victory garden" program. I remember that my grandparents received a "V" for victory recognition certificate in the Tennessee Home Food Supply Program in 1945 for producing at least 75% of their food on the farm.

Can you refer me to sources of historical information/refereences about the victory garden initiative during WWII?

Answer: Sounds like a great classroom project. The following web site should be of help to you.

(If you'd like other ideas for incorporating gardening into school curricula, visit National Gardening Association's web site at -- go to the "Kids and Classrooms" page.)