The Q&A Archives: Bells of Ireland

Question: Do I start my Bells of Ireland seeds indoors or directly in the ground outdoors?

Answer: Seeds of Moluccella, or Bells of Ireland can be sown outdoors in early spring, or started indoors 8-10 weeks before planting out. If you start your seeds indoors, sow them in individual peat pots because the seedlings resent being disturbed once they begin growing. the seeds require a pre-chill period before they will germinate so mix the seeds together with moist growing medium, seal in a plastic bag and refrigerate for 5 days. Then sow on the surface of moistened seed starting mix in individual pots. Seedlings will appear in 8-35 days when kept at 50F - 60F degrees. When you're ready to plant outdoors, space the plants 12" apart in ordinary soil in a sunny to partly shady garden spot.